• Facebook filed papers with FCC for a Bluetooth LE module
• The papers were filed underneath FCL Inc, a name of a auxiliary that Facebook uses for drone-related technologies, such as a Aquila drone
• Filing comes as Facebook reportedly building intelligent speaker, other hardware
Facebook has designed a low-energy Bluetooth procedure to be used in a still-unspecified hardware device.
The Bluetooth conductor is trustworthy to a printer circuit board, that Facebook says can usually be commissioned by an strange apparatus manufacturer, according to FCC filings.
In other words, it’s a member that will be integrated into some arrange of device, that Facebook is gripping underneath wraps for now (much of a info in a filings is still confidential).
The filings, that were filed in June, come as justification mounts suggesting Facebook is operative on new consumer hardware. On Tuesday, Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman reported that Facebook’s Building 8 organisation was building a video discuss device and a intelligent speaker, identical to Amazon’s Echo. Business Insider formerly reported that Facebook recently law a modular device that could duty like a intelligent orator with a touchscreen.
Here’s a blueprint of Facebook’s Bluetooth module, enclosed in a filing:
Facebook FCC filing
There are a few clues in a filing that indicate to some kind of worker or telecommunications-related product. The filing is underneath FCL Inc, that is a name of a auxiliary that Facebook uses for drone-related technologies, such as a Aquila drone. And a hit name on some of a papers is Andrew Guhr, a Facebook counsel whose LinkedIn bio describes him as Associate General Counsel, Telecommunications during Facebook.
Guhr’s pursuit outline raises some intriguing possibilities for a poser product:
“Advising on telecom laws and regulations around a creation on projects trimming from submarine cables, human networks, wireless networks, initial technologies, and next-generation OTT services.”
So, what could it be?
The FCC filing refers to it as a Bluetooth LE 4.0 module. Bluetooth LE is a “low-energy” chronicle of a wireless standard, designed for all from aptness wearables to home party inclination and beacons.
Facebook has several projects underway that this could request to:
- The association has formerly filed papers with a FCC for a wireless guide product that could be used in sell stores.
- Facebook has also been contrast a tiny worker around a Menlo Park campus, in further to a efforts to building a incomparable “Aquila” drone.
- A intelligent orator or video discussion tool could also advantage from a Bluetooth module, yet it’s misleading because Facebook wouldn’t simply use an off-the-shelf member for a device like that.
- Finally, Facebook also has an bid underway to re-invent telecom infrastructure, and is conceptualizing routers and switches.
Facebook did not respond to requests for comment